To make a positive difference in the quality of your household’s sleep, consider purchasing one or two charging stations where family members’ phones and other devices can be charged at your house. Install charging stations away from the bedrooms of family members. A Google search for charging stations gets you started, or you can begin with this Mashable post, 10 Chic Charging Stations.
I recently discovered, in a small way, just how a cell phone screen can affect sleep. I received a new Solitaire game app, and I started playing two or three games on my iPhone just before bed several nights in a row. A few games grew into 20 or 30 minutes of play, but when I put down the phone, it took me a long time to settle down. The fourth night I did not play, and sleep came easily. Lesson learned.
I’ve added four pictures of charging stations that my family has checked out — some practical and others with a bit of whimsy. Many others are available.
A Few Resources to Read on Sleep Deprivation and Device Screens
- Gadgets Stealing Sleep – NBC 5, West Palm Beach, FL
- Teens and Sleep – National Sleep Foundation
- Need More Sleep? Turn off Gadgets and TV Earlier – Newsweek World
- Born to Be Wired: Cell Phones Creating Sleep-Deprived Teens – Alabama
- Cell Phones and Sleep – WebMD
- Can’t Sleep? Turn off that Cell Phone – Time
- More than 4 in 5 Teens Sleep with Cell Phone on or Near the Bed – Pew Report
- One in Three Adults Sleeps Less than Seven Hours Says CDC – CNN
2 thoughts on “Want Sleep in Your Home? Get Charging Stations”