US Government Images
- USA.gov Photos and Images – Info to help users get started using images from government web sites.
- United States Library of Congress (LOC)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration NOAA Image Library at Flickr
- NASA Images
- United States Presidential Photos (LOC)
- Images at the Smithsonian Institution – SI Research Info System (SIRIS) image files are available for non-commercial, personal use.
Museums or University Sites
(includes some university libraries)
- Africa Focus Image Collection – University of Wisconsin
- California Ethnic and Multicultural Image Archives – collections at the University of California Santa Barbara
- Yale University Digital Content – includes documents as well as sound files
- Art Museums and the Public Domain – art museums that make their content available
- Calisphere: Digital Images and Primary Sources from the University of California
- Civil Rights Digital Library – University of Georgia – This site offers links or connections to a huge number of civil rights events, activists (by last name), and places. It may require some digging to find what you are looking for, since the site connects a user to the institution and collection where the media resides. Some pics are available for free and others are not. Fair use applies and attribution required.
- Duke University Ad*Access Collection – using ads for educational purposes is fine as long as the source is attributed.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection – University of Texas
Other Image Collections or Search Sites
- Flickrcc.net — An easy way to find creative commons images of Flickr.
- Copyright Free Images for Learning
- Getty Images – Search for open content images
- Public Domain Pictures
- PixaBay – Search site for public domain images
- MorgueFile – Contains photographs freely contributed by many artists to be used in creative projects by visitors to the site. To acknowledge the artist’s accomplishments, we ask that you credit the photographer when possible.
- Creative Commons site Offering links to image sites with images licensed under Creative Commons.
- GeekPhilosopher.com – Stock photos
- Discovery School Clip Art Collection
- Photo Pin – Find an image and the site provides an embed code to use on blogs
- Compfight – An image search that shows both commercial and Creative Commons images, but it sets off the non-Creative Commons images in a separate section to make the distinction clear.
- Europeana – Images from Europe. Most under Creative Commons, but all specifically labeled.
- Wikimedia Commons Images – This site also makes an app available.
- Media History Digital Image Project – A non-profit initiative that features digitized collections of classic media periodicals that belong in the public domain for full public access.
- The Open Photo Project – Photographers share their photos for Creative Commons use.