With more than 30 years as a teacher including over 20 in the educational technology field, I’ve heard many kids reflect thoughtfully, and not so thoughtfully, on their parents’ digital skills. Kids often wonder why parents don’t always model the digital citizenship expectations that they want their children to learn and apply.
Kids Wish Their Parents and Other Adults Would
- Try to learn a lot more about computers in particular and technology in general.
- Stop saying they don’t know much about technology (mom’s especially)
- Do not use Blackberries and phones at sports games and school events
- Learn to play some of the kids’ online games.
- Understand more about helping with searches on the Internet.
- Understand how hard it is to learn the technology rules and regulations and not always threaten to take away technology access when there’s a problem.
- Stop automatically saying that new things like Wikipedia are questionable.
- Don’t act dumb about technology – act like you want to learn new things.